Friday, December 4, 2009

Meet My Staff

I thought I would introduce my "staff."

Meet Rubio...


Rubio means "blond" in Spanish...I trust this horse with my life (more often than I should.) He is my steady, reliable, partner and companion. If I need to gently move through some cows looking for sick calves or I need to run as fast as the wind chasing a rouge cow he is my man.



You see the brand on his jaw...

I have no idea what it means.

really...he came to me when he was about 9 years old and he already had that.



Rubio is all business. He is not a pet. He doesn't like to be "petted." That is just who he is. But isn't he pretty? Shh...don't tell him I said that...it would probably embarrass him!


Meet my other "staff" member...(I use this term very loosely)

Hoss:


Hoss is my 145 pound, 9 month old Great Dane. He wants to be a cow dog SO bad! But mother nature just had other plans for his life. He has actually helped me pen some cattle 2 times (my husband thinks it was simply a coincidence that he barked in the correct place) but either way he tries hard! He IS a pet! He wants nothing more than to be loved on. Nothing cheers me up like seeing his big, goofy, clumsy, shoe-string slobbered face running towards me.

I couldn't leave out Rubio's pasture mate, Tonto...



As you can see, Tonto is a rather large boy. He is Half Percheron (a breed of draft horses that are uses for pulling.) This is my husbands horse when he rides and helps in the cattle pens. Tonto is rather strong willed and can be a bit intimidating to some. Due to Tonto's large feet he figured out that he could walk across cattle guards then he taught Rubio to do so...so the they get to be pasture mates in a pasture that doesn't have cattle guards.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I personally know Rubio! Enjoyed my ride on him immensely. Hope to do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete